Subject: Input Request for CEPS–European Commission Report on Europe’s Digital Public Infrastructure Offer for Global Gateway Countries
From: "Christopher Schade" <[email-masked]>
To: Riigi Infosüsteemi Amet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2025 17:58:02 +0300

E-kiri saadeti väljastpoolt RIA-t. Kui Sa ei tunne saatjat, siis ära ava 
linke ega manuseid!

Dear RIA Team,

My name is Christopher Schade, and I am currently working with the Centre 
for European Policy Studies (CEPS) on a strategic report in collaboration 
with the European Commission (DG CNECT). The objective of the report is to 
present a comprehensive overview of Europe’s Digital Public Infrastructure 
(DPI) landscape and articulate Europe’s ‘offer’ in this field to Global 
Gateway partner countries, including Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, Nigeria, 
Indonesia, and the Philippines.

To that end, we are conducting a mapping of key European government 
institutions and companies involved in maintaining or developing DPI, 
particularly in areas such as digital identity, digital payments, and secure 
data exchange between authorities. We are especially interested in learning 
more about your institution's experience in this domain.

We would greatly appreciate your insights on the following questions:

1.	Development Process:

*	How did the process of creating your DPI infrastructure unfold?
*	Which companies, organisations, or actors were involved?
*	Did you receive any support from foreign partners or international 
institutions?
*	In what order were different DPI layers (e.g., ID, payments, data 
exchange) developed?
*	What were the main technological or organisational challenges you faced?

2.	Transferability and Cooperation Potential:

*	Do you consider your DPI model to be transferable to Global Gateway 
countries?
*	Would your institution or ecosystem partners be open to cooperation with 
such countries?
*	If so, what forms of collaboration would be ideal from your perspective?
*	Are you already engaged in relevant projects outside the EU?

3.	Comparative Strengths:

*	What do you see as the main strengths or unique advantages of your DPI 
system compared to other global approaches, such as the IndiaStack or 
emerging U.S./Chinese models?
*	How does your model approach issues like open source, decentralisation, 
and cybersecurity?

4.	European Coordination:

*	How is your institution involved in Pan-European DPI initiatives such as 
the European Digital Identity (EUDI) Wallet?
*	Do you believe that Europe's collaborative efforts on DPI could serve as a 
model for cooperation with Global Gateway countries?
*	What are the areas for improvement in this context?

Your feedback will help ensure that our report reflects the diversity and 
strengths of the European DPI landscape and contributes to a clear and 
credible vision for international cooperation in this critical domain.

We would be happy to organize a short call or receive your written input at 
your earliest convenience. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have 
any questions.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and consideration.

Warm regards,

Chris Schade

Christopher Schade

GRID Intern

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Place du Congrès 1, 1000, Brussels, Belgium

 <https://www.ceps.eu/ceps-staff/leonie-kunze/> CEPS.eu ▪ 
<https://open.spotify.com/show/2xL0bgJHXlJveEWyfcVY1s> Podcast ▪ 
<https://x.com/CEPS_thinktank> X ▪  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/ceps/> 
LinkedIn